Advice for Patients During Your Hospital Stay
- Ask LOTS of questions! It can be intimidating to ask your nurses and doctors questions when you can tell they are in a hurry, or when you feel like you have asked them the same thing before. However, patient education is a priority in healthcare. You have a RIGHT to know about your treatments and care, and you just might be surprised with how willing your nurses and doctors are to help!
- Write down the answers to your questions. This will help you not only remember them but can help you explain it to family and other caregivers, as well.
- If you don’t understand an answer, ask for clarification. I have even advised patients to have the doctor write down the name of the disease or medication so they could look up more about it later.
- Ask for information in writing. Nurses have access to pamphlets and resources which are aimed to help you manage your health.
- Write down questions BEFORE the doctor makes morning rounds. Trust me. You will be tired, overwhelmed, and not feeling your best. Make it easier for yourself by being prepared.